Saturday, March 24, 2012

Fire Dragon Pearl #1: Forgiveness



I am a Fire Dragon. Just ask my husband. It’s rarely boring at home, but sometimes my fiery nature gets me into trouble! I would say “into the doghouse” but if you’re a Dragon, you generally don’t like Dogs. Sorry. It’s nothing personal. I actually do know a lot of nice Dogs but I can’t think of any right now. (Just kidding!)

I’ve been gathering yin since the Chinese New Year and have been inspired to share a few thoughts from a Dragon’s perspective about how to cultivate abundance. Every so often I’d like to share a “pearl” that has been brewing in caldrons deep. As with anything that you encounter in life, you are welcome to keep it, throw it away, or just hold it for a little while.

In the beginning, the recipe for abundance calls for an open and clear space. We all need space to create, both inside and out. My first pearl is forgiveness, quite a sticky subject, but whenever you are ready to forgive yourself or someone else, quite a bit of personal energy can be liberated and reclaimed.

Because of all the baggage attached to this word, let me emphasize that the power of forgiveness is a gift that you give to yourself. It is releasing the debt or expectation of repayment from someone who has wronged you. It means returning energy and power back to you to create what you desire in your life.

Forgiveness is a process that you consciously choose to enter. Timing is important. It must happen when you are ready to do it. It can be done without the participation or apology of another and may need to be done multiple times. This is not to be confused with being a doormat or emotional pincushion, however.

Forgiveness does not invalidate impact. It does not condone an action but pardons it. The essential spirit of forgiveness does not intend to enable or support bad behavior. Depending on the situation, it does not necessarily mean maintaining the same relationship status with the person you are forgiving. It is even entirely possible (albeit difficult) to forgive someone that you never want to see again.

So I invite you to glance inside yourself, roll up your sleeves, and do a little internal space clearing if you feel that the season is right. Is there anything that you could clear out now to make more room for what you’d like to create?

Joanna Rossi

No comments: